Thursday, February 21, 2013

DIY Alphabet Learning Activity

Here is a great activity for young children that are beginning to recognize and name letters. I created this alphabet activity today for my son by upcycling a plastic apple container, attaching alphabet stickers, and using a box of Melissa & Doug letters. It was so easy to create!
 
One way to use this activity with children is to have them match the lowercase letters to the lowercase letter sticker. There were two spots left in the container so I filled it will the letters for my son to pick from as he completed the activity with me.
 
 
A second way to use this activity is to match the uppercase letters to the lowercase letter stickers. A third way is to match both uppercase and lowercase letters into the correct letter sticker spot.
This is an easy activity to keep on the shelf folded together with the letters inside for anytime my son wants to play with it. I happened to have alphabet stickers and the Melissa & Doug letters around the house so this fantastic learning activity cost me no extra money to create. I love the idea of upcycling something as simple as an apple container and watching my son gain such valuable learning experiences from it!

-Deborah

11 comments:

  1. I love the clear carton! What a great alphabet activity for kids. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Janine & Jenny! So glad you visited my blog! My son really loves this activity and he is still new to learning letters. It has been a great start for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been holding on to a couple of these apple crates wondering what I could do with them. Now I know! This is a super idea! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi..i am visiting your blog for the first time and i am super impressed. thanks for sharing. May I ask how is old is your son ? I have 23 mo old daughter who hates to learn ABC... I wonder what is the right age to start this..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting Jessi & VB! I was counting the number of spaces the plastic container holds and I realized an alphabet activity would be perfect. I might make the next one with numbers.
    My son is 2 1/2 years old and he is just starting to recognize and say letters. This activity we still do together. I praise him after he puts each letter into the correct spot and he gets so excited. Eventually, he will be able to do this independently. Thank you for the kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this idea! I've never seen apple packaging like this before but I will be trying to work out what else I can use instead. Pinning this if you don't mind?

    Nipping over from The Imagination Tree's Share Sunday on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is darling! I had one of those cartons the other day & was trying to think of something fun to use it for... now I know! I have a Saturday linky party that I would love to have you participate in if you have the chance
    http://teachbesideme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you TheBoyandMe! I actually got the plastic apple container from Costco. I'm sure you can find one wherever they sell items in bulk. Feel free to share this idea anywhere.
    Don't forget to follow me on Facebook for all of my latest creations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Karyn for your kind words and visit! I would really love to participate in the linky party every Saturday. Thanks for the invite. :)
    Don't forget to follow me on Facebook. :)
    -Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab post

    Would love for you to link it up at my new Empty Your Archive link party which is a chance to dust off great posts from your archive - there is a focus this week on reading - would really love to see you there, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete